Saturday, December 1, 2007

Sonata Arctica Reckoning Night--A Therapy Session

















The love that's meant to fade away.
Vade retro, alter ego, move aside, I'm choking on this life...
I think I tolerate your hate, as long as you're afraid.
All I wanted was to be with you and suffer every day...”



Apparently Tony Kakko, lyricist of Sonata Arctica must have been going through some rough patches on an emotional rollercoaster as the Reckoning Night CD might show. That or he was breaking the bonds with someone for whom he once cared. Whatever the case, Reckoning Night was as much of a listening pleasure as it has been theraputic for me.

I love the orange cover and the signature “Wolves art/homage” that Sonata Arctica is known for. The ship in a sea of turmoil fits the verbal imagery perfectly.

Misplaced, Blinded No More, Ain’t Your Fairytale, Don’t Say A Word, My Selene, Wildfire, and Shamandalie are all pretty much about the bitterness of unrequited, unfulfilled, and rejected love.

That said, this album has some of the bands best songs.

Ain’t Your Fairytale and Don’t Say A Word (actually using the word “whore” throughout the song) standout as the classic Sonata Arctica standards. Misplaced, Blinded No More and Wildfire are among my favorites though. This one is the one that really rocked for the band, followed by the often criticized Unia. There were the greatest hits and best of packages that followed along with the For The Sake of Revenge CD/DVD live combo. Still, I think this one has their best playing as a band. Yes, please ignore the Boy Who Wanted To Be A Puppet. I cannot believe they made a single out of that one; lyrically lame but kind of catchy.

The band has an edge that takes them to a higher level as a Power Metal Band. The vocals have bite, the keyboards are incredible, and the guitars are crisp. The rhythm section could use more thunder and power for me, but a minor complaint as on this album—they shine. This album’s production is a bit muddy, but I am no expert here.

Reckoning Night has it all, a purpose in the lyrics, speed and flash in the guitars, clever tunes and true melodic power. It also was the first Sonata Arctica I owned, and I have revisited it a few times in the recent weeks (for reasons look at the first paragraph of the text) and it has also given me a bond to share.


"Reckoning Night" (2004)

No comments: