Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ye Old Metal 1973-1975


“Comin' to you across country
Hoping boogies still allowed…
You ask do we play heavy music;
Well are thunderheads just another cloud, we do
Not Fragile, straight at you.
Then we vanish to the night,
Still in your ears but out of sight
Not Fragile.”
--Randy Bachman of BTO; Not Fragile, 1973.



Martin Popoff has done it again. I just received my latest book from Martin, Ye Olde Metal Volume II: 1973 to 1975.

I was impressed with the volume of insight on some key albums of the time period that Martin included. There are interviews with band members about key tracks and the formation of the music of the albums as well as tours and the like.

In this fantastic volume, Martin explores some of my favorite hard rock/early metal albums. They include:
Piledriver by Status Quo
Billion Dollar Babies by Alice Cooper
New York Dolls by The New York Dolls
Sweet Freedom by Uriah Heep
Loud ‘N’ Proud by Nazareth
Montrose by Montrose
II by Bachman Turner Overdrive
Burn by Deep Purple
Bridge of Sighs by Robin Trower
Only Want You For Your Body by Buffalo
Not Fragile by Bachman Turner Overdrive
Welcome To My Nightmare by Alice Cooper
Hair of the Dog by Nazareth
Go Girl Crazy by The Dictators
Fandango by ZZ Top
Bandolier by Budgie
Fool For The City by Foghat
Come Taste The Band by Deep Purple.

Now of these releases, on CD, I own both Alice Cooper albums, both BTO albums, both Deep Purple albums, both Nazareth albums (as everyone who knows me is still puzzled by my love of Nazareth), The New York Dolls album, and Fandango by ZZ Top. After reading the review, I have ordered the Robin Trower CD.

I have to admit to not heard any Budgie and not knowing anything about Foghat other than Foghat Live. Buffalo I have never heard of; I admit further that I really think Montrose is over-rated. I also was under the delusion that The Dictators was more of a punk band; but that might be my misinterpretation. I am confident that Martin will correct me somewhere down the line. I once owned the Uriah Heep album on LP; no Uriah Heep on CD.

As far as the others, my brother Mark owned the BTO’s as I stole his LPs when he left for college. Sorry Mark, that is what happened to them. Not Fragile is their best, and I played it last evening when reading Martin’s review. The treasure to me in this book was reading the Alice Cooper reviews as Billion Dollar Babies is my favorite Alice Cooper album and one that I would argue is among the best albums of the mid-1970s. Martin’s interviews with band members like bass player Dennis Dunaway, and commentaries about Michael Bruce, really gives an insight that is otherwise unknown.

What I also enjoyed in this book is how open the musicians are about what they were doing and thinking when the albums were made. The BTO stuff is just filled with incredible bits and pieces of unique trivia.

I also loved that one of my all-time favorite albums, Burn by Deep Purple was included, as it is one of the most often ignored albums by the band.

I once proudly announced to my friends that through imports and the like that I owned every Nazareth album on CD. I remember buying the eight-track of Hair of the Dog when I was a sophomore in high school in 1979, and playing it while driving with Will Parks at 70 miles per hour on Canal Road in Ottawa, Illinois blasting it through the speakers of Will’s Ford Maverick as Bob Weber was tossing his lunch in the back seat. Those days were fun. I loved it; especially Don’t Judas Me and Changin’ Times. OK, Hair of the Dog said “son of a bitch” and Love Hurts was the hit; but this is such a rich and rugged album; I could not understand how the arrogant snobs at Rolling Stones referred to all Nazareth albums as “Dog Food” in their record review book. I also love the Close Enough For Rock ‘N’ Roll album (thanks for buying it for me Mark, in 1981) as a favorite and I hope Martin includes it in the 1976-1977 volume (hint hint as I will send him this review and politely ask for a comment).

If you like the albums listed, if you were alive in this time and listening to music, and if you have any interest in the formation of hard rock and heavy metal, go here and buy Martin’s book as he will give you a numbered edition and personalize it for you: http://www.martinpopoff.com/. He also has Ye Olde Metal Volume I (awesome material); his very honest reviews in his The Collector’s Guides To Heavy Metal that cover the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s in three volumes; and books on such diverse groups as Blue Oyster Cult, Dio, Black Sabbath (arguably the best Rock Music book I have ever read), UFO, and Rush among others. How often will you see a book on UFO or BOC for goodness sake? His writing is engaging and informative and he considers all aspects of the music. I cannot wait for his Judas Priest book.

I have to blame Martin for my lack of sleep last night, and my neighbors will blame him for the loud “Miss Misery” blaring from the speakers as I listened to the albums as I read his album stories.

And lest you think I get a cut, I merely struck an email to Martin last year and he was kind enough to email me back and establish positive rapport, as he does frequent this site upon occasion. Thanks Martin, and I am envious of his job. He is a good guy with brilliant commentary and the ability to “get the story” from these musicians who very well may be reluctant to talk. Buy his stuff and learn the stories behind the greatest music created.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Bridge of Sighs" is a great album. I am partial though to "Victims of the Fury" by Trower. "Abomanahg"(I think that how it is spelled)by Heep is pretty good to. God, I haven't heard any of these in over 2o years. Damn you Sweetwood for making me remember the soundtrack to my mis-spent youth.

Keith