Sunday, July 13, 2008

A Late Night With Heavy: The Story of Metal


“Taking a Ride On Heavy Metal…”


My slightly distraught Maine Coon is lying against my arm, peering up at me with his deep eyes. The poor boy is tired because he sat up until 2:00 AM with me to watch the rerun and four hours of fun that was VH1’s documentary “Heavy: The Story of Metal” last evening/early this morning. Some of the greatest bands were covered; some great interviews with movers and shakers, musicians, journalists, and even some wannabes of the Heavy Metal scene.

I loved the first, second, and fourth installment of the four hour show, but I am not a fan of the Hair Metal/Glam metal Los Angeles 1980s scene at all. David Mustaine of Megadeth said it best, “GLAM meant Gay LA Metal to me.” Correct.

And I know Sebastian Bach is not the most “heavy” of the artists, but he is funny as can be and I enjoy his snippets. I think Sabo gives great interviews and Zak Wylde is fantastic; along with the guys from Slayer.

Dee Snyder is fun as well, and one can see his intellect; but we all know (and Dee does as well) that his group would never be compared with the likes of Priest and Sabbath. He is more Glam.

It is nice to have all members of Sabbath interview, well except Bill Ward, and it is apparent in this show that Ronnie James Dio has an ego problem, as does Lars Ulrich, Alice Cooper, and the guys from Quiet Riot and Ratt.. Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue comes off as very intelligent and interesting (even though I hate that band) and Tommy Lee comes off as a scumbag (which is why I hate that band—well that and their music blows).

Still, like ‘em or love ‘em; they are all there to put their story on the screen to be dissected.

As any good fan of metal watches, check out the Rob Zombie interviews. That guy and the guys from Slipknot really come off well. I think Rob Zombie may just be the most intelligent of these artists; either him or Tony Iommi.

Still there are some very entertaining moments from the show that crack me up.

Here is one with “the Cherry Pie Guy” Jani Lane


And since I cannot show the whole show, I thought I would give you three of my favorite videos from three of the best bands in the genre.

Black Sabbath performing Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath:



Judas Priest performing Breaking The Law:


Iron Maiden performing Hallowed Be Thy Name:


Enjoy!

No comments: